One thing I love about blogs is the opportunity to interact.
I welcome your comments, and I’ll do my best to respond to them, if necessary. At the same time, I like conversations where we honor one another—even if we don’t agree on everything.
So here is my comments policy. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment anonymously. I prefer to know who you are, but it’s okay if you’re more comfortable staying unnamed. I may change this rule at some point.
- Please ask follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you’re not alone. Others may have the same question. That’s why I would rather receive your comments on my blog than via email. It is a better use of time to address everyone at once rather than answer several similar emails.
- Feel free to disagree. I welcome your comment. However, I ask that if you disagree with me—or anyone else, for that matter—do so in a way that is respectful. I’ve not had a major issue with this. But you never know.
- I may delete your comments. I usually only do this when someone SPAMs a post or writes something inappropriate. Specifically, I will delete your comments if you post something that is, in my opinion, rude, off-topic, libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or “SPAM,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services.
- Feel free to post a link to your site or your most recent blog post. I’d love to read it. We would all benefit from it.
- You own your comments. I expressly reject any and all liability that may result from your comments. By commenting on my blog, you agree you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, for promotion, or in a presentation.
In short, my goal with this comments policy is to host interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this.
If you have a question about this comments policy, you’re welcome to email me.
(My thanks goes to Michael Hyatt for allowing me to re-purpose his comments policy for my blog.)